A new Version of Molly is available (Molly 3.0)
1/24/2007 - The new version makes the molly program much easier to use. Improvements include:
- diets are now stored in Microsoft Access File (feeds.mdb) which streamlines much of the diet and feed computer code
- the model automatically loads upon startup (no more loading and unloading of the model from the model menu)
- saving time course of variables is much easier. duplicates have been eliminated and only data from the most current simulation is shown. Variable names and numbers can be saved to a bland delimited text file which can then be imported into Excel, etc.
- data can be saved to plot multiple simulations on 1 plot within the program
- body weights, milk production and nitrogen data can be shown in kg or in lb
- Tooltips have been added to all abbreviations so hovering over a label will cause a box to pop up that gives the definitions and units of the term.
DESCRIPTION OF SOFTWARE
Molly is a dynamic mechanistic computer simulation model of a dairy cow described in the book Modeling Ruminant Digestion and Metabolism, 1995 by R.L. Baldwin ( See publication link). Molly is composed of differential equations that describe metabolism of nutrients using Michaelis-Menton type equations. Molly predicts energy metabolism, nitrogen flow, milk production (including volume, fat and protein), amino acid metabolism (methionine/cysteine, histidine, lysine) and body composition changes over a given time period. Molly is written in a Fortran based language using the ACSL Software (see Publications link).
The Molly software is a windows program (developed by Heidi Rossow) which runs the Molly computer model in a Windows environment. The ACSL software in not required to run simulations. Included in this software are a feed library and the ability to create (not formulate) and save diets, plot simulations, and export data to an Excel spreadsheet. Simulation results are presented in diagrams and a dictionary is included.
DOWNLOAD MOLLY INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS .txt file
SAMPLE CLASSROOM HANDOUTS TO SUPPLEMENT PROGRAM USE:
- Dictionary of Terms
- Directions for Introductory Lab (running simulations and making diets)
- Step by Step Directions for BST Lab
- Screenshots of sample simulations (copies bmp files to c:\program_files\molly\screenshots)
This program will take a long time to unpack them bmp files (7 MB)